Monday, June 29, 2009

The first of many...

Well - I am a blogger. My hope for this blog is to encourage and perhaps enlighten through what the Lord is teaching and training me to be.
In our 8:30 church service, I have the privilege of co-teaching the 1-5 graders each Sunday morning. We were planning on studying Faith from Hebrews 11:1 (our memory verse for the month). I wanted to plant seeds that Faith must be present for salvation - it is a relationship, not a ritual or work.
Romans 4: 13-16 **It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. For if those who live by laws are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, because law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression. Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham's offspring- not only to those who are of the law but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all.**
I don't know about you guys, but I am singing "Father Abraham, had many sons. And many sons had Father Abraham. I am one of them, and so are you. So let's just praise the Lord - Right arm..." Just a couple weeks ago I was talking to Harold and asking how we are all Abraham's descendants - we are not Jews. This passage answers my question in verse 17: As it is written: "I have made you a father of many nations." He is our father in the sight of God, in Whom he believed - the God Who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they are.
Through Abraham's faith and relationship with God, he become God's family. His steps of faith were so much greater: leaving his home (Genesis 12:4), believing God for offspring that would be like the dust of the earth (Genesis 13:16) or stars in the sky (Genesis 15:5). He simply believed and obeyed. He did not even have the Scriptures to encourage or equip him to continue on his journey - he simply had faith.
How much more do I have? God - breathed Scripture (2 Timothy 3:16), the Holy Spirit confirming my relationship with Christ and being a part of God's family (Romans 8:16-17); yet, Abraham's faith at times seem so much stronger. It comes down to a relationship. I can "know" these truths, but until I meditate and make the effort to get to know my heavenly Father through prayer, fasting and His Holy Word, my faith will not be that strong because faith is trusting something I do not see (back to Hebrews 11:1).
So I pray that you find your faith multiplying through prayer and the study of God's Word. May we each take the time to encourage one another with "Faith Sightings". Acknowledging God in our everyday lives. Not hoping in "luck" - but trusting in a Sovereign God with a plan and a purpose for those who love and have faith in Him (Romans 8:28; Jeremiah 29:11).
Hugs and blessings to you! :)

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blog world! You will love it. :) I enjoyed your first two posts. Always insightful. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete